Since 1962, the Niagara Symphony Summer Music Camp (SMC) has inspired and encouraged young musicians. A belief in the value of music education has been the motivation for the establishment of performance programmes for all skill levels and ages. Members of our teaching faculty are professional musicians and music educators selected for their knowledge and ability to inspire. They are dedicated to creating an environment that instils a joyful appreciation of music and its performance while developing strong technical and ensemble skills. Apprentice staff members are enthusiastic young musicians; many are former campers, eager to blend learning with fun.
SMC is presented in the excellent facilities at Ridley College,St. Catharines
Campers enjoy a full and varied schedule that includes:
- Daily recitals featuring faculty and guest artists
- Orchestra, Concert Band, String Ensemble, Jazz Band or Choir participation
- Early Years programming: Orff, Music For Young Children, Ukulele Kids (session 1) and Rainbow Music (session 2): Harpsicles, Rainbow Violin, Rainbow Percussion
- Supervised outdoor recreation
- Session 1 June 29 – July 10, 2015: Parent & Tots 18 months to 3 years, Early Years grades JK – 2 & Junior Classes grade 3 – 6
- Session 2 July 13 – 24, 2015: Senior Classes –grades 6 – 10 & Rainbow Music – grades SK – 3
- please note: this year, classes are divided by grade completed as of June 2015
SMC’15 registration is now open.
Best availability Grades 3 and up
PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING CLASSES ARE FULL. Call the NSO office for other options: 905-687-4993 ext. 223 – we can help!
Session 1: Orff AM, Music For Young Children AM and Ukulele Kids PM for JK/SK students; the 9:00 a.m. & 10:00 a.m. sessions of Parents & Tots (room in 11:00 a.m.); Beginner Percussion
Session 2: Harpsicles AM, Rainbow Violin AM, and Ukulele Kids PM for SK/grade 1 students
For more information or assistance, please contact B. J. Armstrong
bj.armstrong@ niagarasymphony.org | (905) 687-4993 ext. 223
The NSO extends our sincere thanks to the generous contributors to the 2015 SMC Bursary and Operations Funds:
Susan Baker | Ellen Gretsinger | Kinsmen Club of Fonthill and District | Kiwanis Club of Welland | Cecilia & David Lane |Areechit Lertprasopsik | Nicole Lewis | Marco Medeiros | Glenn & Ashley Skrubbeltrang| Jennifer & Dean Wakil | Tina Yeung-Moore | and generous anonymous donors
Contributions to the Bursary Fund help remove financial barriers for families who wish to send their children to Summer Music Camp; operations donations help sustain our instruments and equipment – Thank you!
The NSO gratefully acknowledges an exciting new partnership with Ridley College for SMC 2015, and the welcome return of Special Needs Education sponsor Meridian Credit Union. Thanks also to Canadian Tire for sponsoring Recital Rap again this year.